City Readers Digital Historic Collections at the New York Society Library
New York Hospital
Warning: Illegal string offset 'start' in /var/www/pawtucket/themes/nysoc/views/Details/ca_entities_default_html.php on line 322
(Active A - )
New York Hospital or Old New York Hospital or City Hospital was founded in 1771 with a charter from King George III, and is the second oldest hospital in New York City, and the third oldest in the United States. It was originally located on Broadway between Anthony Street (now Duane Street) and Catherine Street (now Worth Street).
In 1821, the hospital opened the Bloomingdale Insane Asylum on Broadway and West 116th Street in the Morningside Heights neighborhood of Manhattan. Due to real estate pressures, it moved to White Plains, New York in 1891, where it eventually became the Payne Whitney Psychiatric Clinic, now known as "New York-Presbyterian/Westchester". The Morningside Heights site became part of Columbia University.
New York Hospital outgrew its original building by the 1870s, and moved to a new building between Fifth and Sixth Avenues and West 15th and 16th Streets, which opened in 1877. The original facility was maintained as a House of Relief, which moved to Hudson Street in 1884.
In 1912, New York Hospital become affiliated with the Cornell University Medical College and moved in 1932 to a joint facility, the New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, now the Weill Cornell Medical Center, on York Avenue between East 67th and 68th Streets. In 1998 it merged with Presbyterian Hospital to become New York-Presbyterian Hospital, which has six campuses.